According to www.Care2.com “Magnesium is the second most abundant element in human cells and the fourth most important positively charged ion in the body. It helps the body regulate over 325 enzymes and plays an important role in organizing many bodily functions, like muscle control, electrical impulses, energy production and the elimination of harmful toxins.
Epsom salts have been used by many different cultures for hundreds of years. They have a number of different beneficial properties and are used in gardening, household cleaning and detoxifying the body.
care2.com states “Our magnesium levels have dropped by half in the last century this is possibly due to changes in agriculture and diet. Another factor in decreased magnesium levels has been our focus on getting enough calcium. It’s a delicate dance–calcium depletes magnesium yet calcium functions best when enough magnesium is present. Studies indicate that taking a calcium supplement without enough magnesium can increase the shortage of both nutrients. Researchers have found that many people have five times as much calcium as magnesium in their bodies, although the proper ratio for optimum absorption of both minerals is two to one.
This brings us back to Epsom salts. Known scientifically as hydrated magnesium sulphate, Epsom salt is rich in both magnesium and sulphate. While both magnesium and sulphate can be poorly absorbed through the stomach, studies show increased magnesium levels from soaking in a bath enriched with Epsom salt! Magnesium and sulphate are both easily absorbed through the skin. Sulphates play an important role in the formation of brain tissue, joint proteins and the proteins that line the walls of the digestive tract. They stimulate the pancreas to generate digestive enzymes and are thought to help detoxify the body of medicines and environmental contaminants.”
Care2.com has documented suggested health benefits from proper magnesium and sulphate levels, as listed on the web site of the Epsom Salt Industry Council are:
- Improved heart and circulatory health, reducing irregular heartbeats, preventing hardening of the arteries, reducing blood clots and lowering blood pressure.
- Improved ability for the body to use insulin, reducing the incidence or severity of diabetes.
- Flushed toxins and heavy metals from the cells, easing muscle pain and helping the body to eliminate harmful substances.
- Improved nerve function by electrolyte regulation. Also, calcium is the main conductor for electrical current in the body, and magnesium is necessary to maintain proper calcium levels in the blood.
- Relieved stress. Excess adrenaline and stress are believed to drain magnesium, a natural stress reliever, from the body. Magnesium is necessary for the body to bind adequate amounts of serotonin, a mood-elevating chemical within the brain that creates a feeling of well-being and relaxation.
- Reduced inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps.
- Improved oxygen use.
- Improved absorption of nutrients.
- Improved formation of joint proteins, brain tissue and proteins.
- Prevention or easing of migraine headaches.
Yep…all this from a bath!
Their recommended dosage – Add two cups of Epsom salt and soak for at least 12 minutes. Do this three times weekly.
But wait there’s more….Epsom Salts has Uses for Gardening too!
Fertilize your houseplants – Most plants need nutrients like magnesium and sulphur to stay in good health and Epsom salt makes the primary nutrients in most plant foods (nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium) more effective. Sprinkle Epsom salt once weekly to help nourish your houseplants, flowers and vegetables.
Keep your lawn green – Magnesium sulphate crystals, when added to the soil, provide vital nutrients that help prevent yellowing leaves and the loss of green colour (magnesium is an essential element in the chlorophyll molecule) in plants. Add 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt to a gallon of water and sprinkle on your lawn to keep the grass healthy and green.
Insecticide spray – Use Epson salts on your lawn and in your garden to safely and naturally get rid of plant pests.
Coffs Harbour Produce stocks pharmaceutical grade Epsom Salts in Stock. Ask our friendly team when placing your next order!